TAMS11 - Probability and Statistics
- 25-Jan-2019: Solutions to the Lecture 2 problems are available:
- 23-Jan-2019: Solutions to the Lecture 1 problems are available:
- 16-Jan-2019: Things which can be used during the exam:
(I). a calculator;
(II). formel och tabellsamling i matematisk statistik;
(III). TAMS11: Notations and Formulas (by Xiangfeng Yang); you don't have to print it out by yourself since this will be attached together with the exam;
(IV). a dictionary.
The aim of the course is to give an introduction to probability and statistics, i.e. to introduce theoretical probability models and to give methods for statistical inference based on observed data. By the end of the course the student should be able to:
· describe and use models for phenomena influenced by random factors and calculate probabilities;
· use random variables and their properties to describe and explain random variation;
· use an appropriate probability model to describe and analyze observed data and draw conclusions concerning interesting parameters;
· find point estimators of parameters and analyze their properties;
· understand the principles of statistical inference based on confidence intervals and hypothesis testing;.
Teaching organizationThis course consists of lectures, lessons and obligatory computer classes. In the lectures, you learn new definitions, new concepts, new theories, together with their application examples. In the lessons, you solve problems independently, together with some supervision from the teacher. In obligatory computer classes, you use Minitab to conduct simulations and statistical analyzes.
ExaminationTo pass the course, you must pass both the written exam and two computer labs. The written exam consists of six problems.
Sidansvarig: Xiangfeng Yang
Senast uppdaterad: 2019-01-25